Clint Smith
CIR 411, Dr. Bishop
Chapter 7 Response
April 18, 2011
Chapter 7; K – W – L
I was introduced to the concept of a K-W-L Chart upon entering college. I had never seen or used this concept in elementary, middle, or high school. I am assuming that K-W-L charts were introduced well after my years in the school system. I have since realized that this concept is highly effective in gaining background information from students that allow the teacher to make learning more meaningful for the students. After introducing a topic, often using a big idea, the teacher can then determine what students already know about this topic. The brainstorming process is powerful and helps students gather and describe their thoughts about the topic. Since some students have a much larger knowledge base for a given topic, this allows the teacher to determine a point in which instruction should begin. It also gives the teacher the ideas she or he needs to differentiate instruction. This theory also increases students’ motivation by determining what they want to learn and understand about the big idea. The ‘want to know’ category allows students to make certain predictions about what they think may be true for a relative question. The last column in the K-W-L chart is probably the most important. This column will usually answer the questions that students had about the topic. I use the word ‘usually’ because I have seen times when the K-W-L chart was used, and some questions were left unattended at the end of the lesson. Many questions will be plotted on the chart, and teachers should ensure that the questions are appropriate for the big idea that has been presented. If the teacher believes that the student’s question is not relative to the big idea, the question should not be listed on the chart. I mention this because I have seen times where some questions were unattended at the completion of the lesson. I believe that some students may feel negatively about this, and they may refuse to take part in this strategy during later lessons. The teacher must ensure that appropriate questions are being asked or that they will be able to illiterate on unanswered questions at the end.
I have noticed recent success using the K-W-L chart. Teachers introduce a lesson using this strategy, and it seems to provide motivation and begin conversation about a topic. Students enjoy listing things they would like to learn from the lesson. This seems to allow students to be a part of the lesson rather than just a student expected to learn the new concept. It also provides students with a visual organizer for a concept.
The only time I have seen a K-W-L chart not become effective in the classroom was when teachers did not allow enough time at the end of the lesson to attend important questions that students had at the beginning of the lesson. Teachers often allow questions that are not appropriate for the lesson at hand.
K-W-L charts, in my opinion, are great tools to motivate learners while providing visual aids. Teachers must ensure that the charts are being used correctly and that all questions are appropriate for the lesson. Student participation is essential. The teachers should only serve as the scribe as students generate ideas.
No comments:
Post a Comment